Monday, January 3, 2011

Holiday fun

Q. What do you do when you have free time to sew and 8 or more projects on the go?
A. Do one that has no deadline pressure! Leaving all the others to glare at you from their corners.

And here she is... the project of choice Emsie-lou's cushion. Em's in China for the month so of course I made this one first! I love the 'Henry the Owl' print and the cushion was inspired by the Sew Mama Sew blog tutorial on quilted cushions. I made the button holes on the back a fraction too small so I'll get some smaller self cover buttons next time I'm at Spotlight to finish it off. Hope you like it Em! Love ya!
For Em with love
Joel and I have been on holidays since Christmas and this year we decided to stay at home (Joel's favourite kind of holiday) So side by side, he took on the bad spies in multiple secret missions, and I sewed up a storm! (His computer and my sewing machine share the same space.) My brain is now buzzing with new ideas for Chocolate Hedgehog and I'm planning to get the made it stall up and running by the end of this week with some products to purchase as a bit of a trial run. I even bought a cork board so that I can let my brain rest by putting ideas out there in the real world!

Speaking of trial runs what do you think of this as a scarf for autumn?

Chocolate Hedgehog scarf prototype
I was testing out both my new preloved overlocker on some fabric from an op shop. (Ignore the house mess and half made dress underneath!) I was thinking of using a heavier wool and placing the circles a little closer together for warmth and structure but on the whole I think it looks kind of pretty. Feel free to leave your comments on the bottom of this post!

Ok, so I admit it, I bought a little peoples sized jacket pattern from Make it Perfect just because it is adorable.  At a friend's suggestion, I'm also going to try create a funky adults winter coat with a hood! Options for winter coat patterns seem to come hoodless for the adults unless you want a cape or poncho and who wouldn't want an adorable screen printed and warm original winter piece?

But before I get too far ahead of myself I have a few more projects to tackle with some hard lessons hopefully under the belt.

1) My overlocker is very fussy about the needles it likes - and spotlight doesn't sell them
2) The weight of the fabric matters when you're using a variety of prints *sigh* lots of unpicking to be done
3) Shiny materials don't like taking pleats

Maybe I'll procrasternate with some screen printing...!

No comments:

Post a Comment